We live so fast and hectic lives that sometimes it is not possible to give the right care and attention to our skin. However, if you want to slow down the signs of aging and want to maintain a youthful appearance, then it is vital that you at least follow the basic daily skin care regime outlined below:
– Clean – Moisturise – Protect
1. When you wake up in the morning. Be sure to wash your face with a cleanser. Choose an appropriate cleanser based on your skin type. For example, if you have oily skin then choose one that is made for oily skin. If you have dry skin, choose something that is made for dry skin. Both Boots and Superdrug have a vast range, and pricewise they're not too bad either. The general rule is however, don't use anything that is too harsh. Obviously if you have certain skin conditions such as acne or severe spots, then you would have to get something to deal with that. Read my other post on How to Get Rid of Spots
When using cleansers, make sure not to rub your skin vigorously. Instead, gently massage the cream or foam in a circular motion. After, leave the cream or foam on for at least a minute. Sometimes, people wash it off too quickly. They don’t allow the ingredients to fully penetrate into their skin. Once you have done this, using a clean towel gently pat dry. Again, be sure not to rub the skin. Make sure you do this at least twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night.
2. Do you use sunscreen or moisturiser first? Bottom line is they are both important. Sunscreen is actually more important. People often assume that sunscreen should only be used on a sunny day – wrong. Even on a cloudy day the skin is affected by the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Ideally you should apply sunscreen to your face then wait at least 10 to 15 minutes before applying makeup or a moisturiser. Your sunscreen must be at least SPF15 or higher. Even better, when choosing a moisturiser you can go for one that contains SPF. That way you won’t have to use two products.
3. Eyes – The skin around your eyes is very delicate and extremely thin. It is the first part of your face that shows signs of aging. Apart from drinking water and getting plenty of sleep, it is important that you choose a good quality eye cream, again preferably one with SPF. While putting the cream on, make sure to pat rather than rub. read my other post on Eye care.
4. At night be sure to wash your face and remove all make-up. Trust me you don't want to go to bed wearing it.
The above regime is very basic. In addition it is advisable for you to adopt the following as well:
At least twice a week you should use a face scrub. This will remove dead skin on your face and speed up the cell renewal cycle. Once a week you should use a face mask. Read about how a face mask can really inprove your skin. Face masks are great for ensuring all dirt is removed from your skin. It will really make the skin feel squeaky clean. Just try it once and you'll see how your skin feels. However, make sure to do this only once a week.
You could also steam your face. If you don’t want to spend money on buying a face steamer then you can easily do this at home. Just boil some water and put this into a bowl. Place your face above this water covering with a towel above your head. Do this for about 20 minutes. This will really clean your skin. It is a really good regime to do before you use a face scrub or face mask, as it will open your pores and allow the ingredients to really penetrate into your skin. You also find that your breathing improves as well.